Sunday 4 April 2010

This Mix Could Burn A Hole In Anyone… But It Was You I Was Thinking Of.

She turned and stared back. Her eyes were so wide. Light blue. And more perfect than the sky. I couldn’t think of any conclusion to “hello”. My mind was completely blank. All my thoughts were taken over by her perfection and beauty. She slowly removed her headphones I hadn’t noticed she was wearing.

“hi.” She spoke with such perfect notes. Her voice was like a mix of my favourite song, all mashed together into perfection.

“eh…. Hi. I was wondering what you’re doing here?” Damn. That wasn’t the first question I wanted to ask. Or the second actually.

“I needed to get away. My family is so chaotic right now.” She had turned to look back out at the slowly rising sun. the orange was lighting up her face like I had never seen before. It was beautiful. “We just moved here. We arrived at like half twelve last night. I couldn’t sleep properly so I came out here, looking for peace.” She told her story as if she had had to tell it over a thousand times before now.

“oh.” I slowly moved towards her, eventually ending up at the end of the dock. “I come out here most mornings because I can’t sleep either.” I couldn’t focus on the sun rise because she was sitting next to me. Her beauty and perfection was greater than the sunrise. I could sit here for hours watching her, doing nothing. “This is sorta my place. No one ever comes down here anymore. This place is almost like a ghost town.” She giggled. “What’s so funny?” I said smiling back.

“I just realised that my parents have moved me from the busiest city in America, to here, the quietest beach town in America. My parents will never survive.” She looked down at her iPod and changed the track.

“What you listening to?” Another stupid question. She’d obviously think I’m some sort of creep if I keep asking questions like this.

“Oh. It’s just a mix of songs I put together for the move. I can’t stand listening to my parents talk about this place as if it was an amazingly popular town. It seems like just another beach town. Destroyed by tourism in another town just down the road.” She was right. It was as if she had lived here through it all. I had.

“You know your new town very well then.” I was trying to make jokes. Not a good idea if I wanted to make friends with her. I had only known her less than five minutes and I was thinking of inviting her to breakfast.

“So… where can I go for something good to eat around here? Or is no where open yet?”

No comments:

Post a Comment